Vladimir Putin says that the objective of the “special military operation” in Ukraine was
“demilitarisation and denazification”.
In the above context the following points can be analysed
- Ukraine, of course, is not a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) member and neither is Russia. Ukraine had applied for NATO membership in 2008. Would Russia dare an attack against a NATO member?
- NATO has 30 members, European and North American
- Russia has never lost a war in the past. The conflicts that flavoured Russia are
- Second Chechen War
- In 2008 when Georgia applied for NATO membership, a military conflict arose that created South Ossetsia and Abkhazia.
- Syria, September 2015, where Russia played a major role in combating the rebellions who fought against the Syrian Government headed by the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Syria had formally request Russian military intervention to subdue the civil war.
- In 2014, Crimean peninsula was invaded and annexed to the Russian Federation from Ukraine and removed Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych from power.
- What was Russia’s position in the post cold war era?
- Did the “West” give her the respect She deserved? Could that have been one among the reasons Why Russia needed an invasion?
- Experts believe Putin’s larger aim is to restore Russian power and influence in Eastern Europe, which would include installion of a marionette government, puppet government or dummy government in Ukraine that is friendly to his leadership.
- MINSK Protocol 2014: The Minsk Protocol was a Trilateral Contact Group on Ukraine, which consisted of representatives from Ukraine, Russia, and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE). Ukraine’s then pro west President, Petro Poroshenko has brokered a ceasefire with Russia and other seperatists.
- Volodymyr Oleksandrovych Zelenskyy was elected as the 6th President of Ukraine in 2019. Zelenskyy worked hard for the membership of Ukraine in the European community and NATO. The military alliance between Ukraine and the “West” had a new voice against Russia in Eastern Europe. The primary cause of war between Russia and Ukraine now could be summed up with these enumerations.
- A message that the west too have to ponder with. No country in the World is inferior to others and no nation can be ignored, neglected or disrepected.
Above all, tears, loss of wealth, properties and life is not going to regain the pride but the pain will remain as long as the history will. War is never the right path.
This article would be updated frequently. Please watch this space for more information.
The views expressed here are the individual opinion of the writer.
List of NATO Countries
THE UNITED KINGDOM (1949)
THE UNITED STATES (1949)
CZECH REPUBLIC (1999)
NORTH MACEDONIA (2020)